- Nashville, TN
- Entry Level
At the heart of Simplify Compliance is our people. People from many different backgrounds with different vantage points, opinions, and experiences. We strive to continually lead with our IMPACT values and empower our employees to develop their full potential on a team that is passionate about acceptance, inclusivity, and achievement. Our employees are the driving force for the innovation, collaboration and creativity that enables our organization to deliver strategic success.
The Legislative Assistant temporary position will start February 1, 2021 with an anticipated end date of late April or early May 2021. This role summarizes new legislation by reading bills, comparing the bills to existing law, and creating a one or two paragraph synopsis of the bill to place on our bill-tracking website. This position also covers subcommittee meetings, committee meetings and floor sessions of the Tennessee General Assembly as assigned. During these meetings, this position is expected to obtain status on each bill being heard, including any amendments that are adopted on bills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Summarize new legislation and input summaries and accompanying bill data into our web-based bill-tracking system.
- Attend subcommittee meetings, committee meetings and floor sessions of the Tennessee General Assembly.
- Obtain status of each bill being heard in assigned meetings and input status into our bill-tracking system.
- Obtain copies of amendments adopted on bills during committee meetings and floor sessions and summarize such amendments.
- Obtain copies of calendars for all subcommittee meetings, committee meetings and floor sessions of the general assembly and add them to our bill-tracking system.
- Obtain state budget documents, House and Senate amendment packets, vote tallies from committee or floor session as needed and scan such documents to be posted on our website.
- Attend and record press conferences, in addition to taking notes, for The Tennessee Journal as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to write accurately for immediate publication, without text being proofread by managing editor
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and concentrate for extended periods of time to complete projects
- Willingness to be assertive and seek information by taking initiative
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, including evenings
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with daily deadlines
- Excellent computer skills
- Educational background in English, Communications, Political Science, History, Journalism, Pre-Law, or Criminal Justice
- Experience working with the legislature or on a legislative campaign preferred, but not required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
All external applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you require an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act or similar law in order to apply for employment at Simplify Compliance, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team 1.800.727.5257, ext. 8101.
Job applicants may request to review the company's Affirmative Action plans by contacting the talent acquisition team/recruiter, Human Resources department or Chief People Officer.